Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

31 Day Nail Art Challenge --- Day 19, Galaxies

Day 19 of the challenge is galaxy nails. I've never tried galaxy nails before, so I was excited to try, and I'm super happy with my results. So happy, in fact, that I made a tutorial to go with them.


1. Start with a black base. I used Black Satin from Rimmel.

2. Using white (I used White On from Sally Hansen), lightly sponge on a thick line. This should not be perfectly straight and should be quite light. Focus more white on the center of the galaxy. 

3/4. Next, using a makeup sponge, slightly mix a darker and lighter blue (or a lighter and darker shade of your chosen colour) together and sponge around the outer edges of the white. I used Ogre-the-Top Blue and Yoga-Ta Get This Blue from OPI.

5. Repeat step 3/4., this time with purple (or your second chosen colour). However, sponge slightly onto the white this time. I used Midnight Plum from Avon and Fig from JOE Fresh. 

6. Lightly sponge glitter over the whole nail. I used Grey to Be Here from Essence. Then, focusing on the center of the galaxy, lightly sponge a coarser glitter over the white. I used a glitter striper from It's So Easy Stripe Rite. 

7. Finally, (this is what really makes the galaxy look) add some little dots for stars. You can also paint some twinkling stars on. Top coat. 

Tips:

i) Rip the makeup sponge; don't cut it, for a more natural, organic and realistic look when sponging. 

ii) Reference photos of galaxies to produce a more realistic design.

iii) Don't be perfect. Galaxies are irregular in shape since they naturally occur. 

iv) Each nail doesn't need to be the same, since once again, galaxies are natural and don't all look the same.

v) Make the center of the galaxy a slightly brighter white to look more realistic. 

vi) Make stars tiny to be more realistic. 




I hope any of you who haven't tried galaxy nails will give them a try! Now, one question. What do you guys think? Are my nails "Outta this World"?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful manicure! I love the tips too, especially about making the galaxy brighter and the stars tiny, great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! My sister and I am going to try them. The tips were great.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you guys! Let me know what you think of the blog, the art and most of all, what YOU would like to see on here!